Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tropical Flavors





*











A few days ago was the annual National Talk Like a Pirate Day holiday. Every September 19th it's time to celebrate the swash buckling scaly-wags of the sea. Some friends of mine got together for an excuse to celebrate with some exotic cuisine and classic pirate movies. Our food theme was more of a tropical flavor, Caribbean type culinary feel, dashed with some random extras.

While there was really no rhyme or reason, the food was still fantastic.

As seems to be my usual food assignment, I was in charge of dessert. What's a pirate theme without Rum? So I made some "rum cake" cupcakes. Though instead of rum, I substituted pineapple juice and almond extract. These turned out to be a hit. Not only were they extremely moist, but topped with a slice of pineapple, mandarin orange, and cherry, they just looked so pretty.

Of course people need chocolate, so I did classic brownies with a minty frosting. With some help from a little food dye, I turned the minty frosting into a tropical ocean blue. The taste wasn't too shabby either.

I've decided that after watching movies in beautiful tropical locations, I should see them first hand. I think a trip to the Caribbean is now going to be a must see destination.


No comments:

Post a Comment