Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Blackness Castle

















When planning my trip to Scotland, I have no idea what I put on there to stop and see Blackness Castle. It certainly isn't one of the more popular or bigger castles in Scotland. The only thing I can think of is that it happened to be on the way to our various other destinations. That being said, I am still glad that we made the stop.









*Because it was an early morning, we arrived there just as it opened. Which meant we had the castle to ourselves for a little while before people arrived. Getting to wander through a castle without any other tourists is great. I fully recommend it.
 
Blackness castle is often called "the ship that never sailed." From an arial view, the castle is actually shaped like a ship. Pretty interesting huh. Sadly, I did not get a helicopter ride to see this castle. So I don't have an arial picture I can show you. That's what google and Wikipedia is for.



It's located on the south shore of the Firth of Forth, in the tiny village of Blackness. The castle was built in 1440. It was considered to be one of the most advanced artillery fortifications of it's time in Scotland during the 16th century.



The castle served as a prison,  a minor garrison, an ammunition depot, and a royal fortress through it's years of existence. Obviously the castle has fallen through many different hands throughout history. Instead of listing out that potentially boring history of events, I'll leave that to your Wikipedia skills. In the meantime, we wandered and had fun taking pictures. Though I must say it was a windy and cold day to be wandering along the water.







 











No comments:

Post a Comment