Thursday, October 27, 2022

Philadelphia, Boston, Salem, and Maine

 As we continued on our drive up to Maine, we made another quick stop in Philadelphia for the famous Philly Cheesesteak. As always we didn't have enough time to really explore, though once again this is another city I wish I had more time for.

The big debate with the cheesesteak is if it should be made with cheese whiz, or with swiss cheese. We got one of each so we could be thorough in our taste testing. Turns out we both prefer the one with cheese whiz. Who knew?

The next stop we made was Boston. We happened to be downtown on a Saturday, which makes it a nightmare of a city full of traffic to drive in. Needless to say we didn't get to see much. But we did stop and see the boat in the harbor recreating the Boston tea party. I also got a lovely little tea pot. We did want to do some more exploring, but unfortunately with things that happened throughout the day we had to keep moving on and didn't have time to stay as long as we'd planned.

On we went to Salem, where we did get to walk around a bit. I really liked Salem Massachusetts. And had the best clam chowder of my life. I still think about that clam chowder. It was so good. We wondered through the town and saw some of the Salem witch sites that are there to draw visitors. It's an interesting little town to explore. It was a chilly and dreary day which seemed only fitting. 

We left Salem late in the afternoon for Maine. We got there in time for dinner, where I was able to try my first ever lobster roll. I could eat one of these every day for the rest of my life and be good with that.

Originally the plan was to spend the next day exploring Maine - seeing lighthouses, countryside, all that good stuff. But due to a personal tragedy that had been escalating since the beginning of our trip, I ended up having to fly out early the next morning to get home to take care of an urgent situation. 

While this trip was not the fun vacation I had planned on it to be, it did give me glimpses of a few other places I'd love to explore more. Hopefully some day we can get back there and spend some more time.






No comments:

Post a Comment