Saturday, April 12, 2014

How it Began

I always wanted to travel. In school history classes and other books I'd read I dreamed of visiting those famous landmarks and sights that exist all over the world. Wouldn't that be amazing? To see the Sistine Chapel, or Big Ben, or the great Wall of China.

But that's what other people did. As much as I wanted to go, it was never going to happen for me. I was born and raised in the same house, in the same town, and would grow up to be a sensible ordinary adult with a regular job and family. Nothing wrong with that. Traveling around the world was just a dream that most likely would stay that way. After all, you'd have to be rich to travel overseas.

But wouldn't it be great?

Then in High School my best friend went as a foreign exchange student for 6 months to New Zealand. Wow. I could never be that daring. Again, traveling is what other people did, not me. A few years later and she convinced me to get a passport. I mulled it over for a bit, then decided why not? I most likely wouldn't use it, or if I did it would be to someplace not too far like Canada, but why not have one just in case?

A funny thing happened once I got that passport. Unexpected opportunities started coming my way to use it. Before I knew it I was leaving the United States for the first time ever and going to Mexico. Then in the airport I got a stamp in my passport. That loud bang and a colored stamp that said MEXICO woke me up. I really liked that stamp. All those other blank pages in my passport now looked lonely. I had to get more stamps somehow. So the obsession began.

Maybe traveling wasn't just for everyone else. Maybe it could be for me too. As the years went by opportunities for traveling kept being placed in my path. Some AMAZING opportunities that led to fantastic experiences - funny, great, and disastrous. Ten countries later and my perspective has changed drastically. I'm not sitting around being envious of those people who get to travel the world (well, I still am. Especially when they go to places I haven't gotten to yet or can afford to go more often than I can).  I have become one of those people I always wanted to be.

This was the beginning of my traveling hobby. I never dreamed I'd see and do all that I have at this point in my life. I plan to share some funny anecdotes, some disastrous situations, some rambling thoughts, and my love of great food as well as upcoming trips and bucket list destinations. This purpose is to give you a smile and maybe make you laugh at the funny situations I end up in. If I can travel the world, then anyone can.

Current Country Count:

Mexico - twice
England - twice
France- twice
Spain - twice
Italy - three times
Ireland
Netherlands
Austria
Czech Republic
Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment